Date :

The Bewick L5988

The Bewick Lodge

Who are we?

The Bewick Lodge No 5988 was granted its warrant on the 2nd August 1944 and consecrated on 16th December 1944 under charter from the United Grand Lodge of England    It was founded to mark the twenty-first anniversary of the consecration of Prince Edwin Lodge No.4519, which was consecrated on 12th May 1923.  Founder membership was restricted to the members of the Prince Edwin Lodge.   The name “Bewick” was selected because of the association with the Borough of Gateshead and with Thomas Bewick, the wood engraver.    The excellence of his work won him national fame and distinction in the world of literature and art, and he was acknowledged to be a craftsman of the very highest standing and a superb creative artist. We in turn keep age-old traditions of the Lodge with good ritual in a friendly atmosphere where all current and New masons are welcome.

What we do

The Bewick Lodge 5988 is a friendly Lodge who’s members enjoy meeting with like-minded people both in the lodge and in the social side of the evening. 

Why join us?

A small but perfectly formed Lodge with a wide cross section of members with common aims – to help others and project the benefits of masonry

When we meet

1ST Wednesday in September to June – Installation in April.


Joining fee: £55

Lodge subscriptions: £165

Typical dining fee: £10


facilities at Gateshead Masonic Hall


Alexandra Road, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, NE8 1RB.

Hall information

Directions Google Maps W3W ///strong.gentle.films Additional Information

Lodges that meet here


Ample car parking is available within the grounds of the building with some limited on-street parking if necessary.


Gateshead Masonic Hall offers three main entrance points, two of which are easy access. The main gated front entrance via Alexandra Road presents a few well lit steps, accompanied by a handrail. 

The two accessible entrances to the building are via the rear car park where the building is on the level. The first of the two wheelchair accessible points is via a set of doors leading from the car park into the main dining hall. The alternative route takes you to the Alexandra Road entrance of the building via well lit, perimeter footpath within the halls grounds. These routes are well lit and secured by CCTV.


Wide double doors.


There are Emergency Exits from all rooms evacuating to level ground outside the building. There is a defibrillator installed and several trained personnel.


The Masonic Hall in Gateshead is a single storey building making it fully accessible to all and especially those with mobility issues. The building is accessed through wide double-doors at the front and rear. There are ramps leading into the building at both doors and there will always be a welcoming and friendly Gateshead Freemason available to assist if required. All rooms inside the building are on the same single floor and easily accessible without the need for internal ramps or lifts. There is a Hearing Loop within the main Lodge Room 


There are separate male and female toilets, both are wheelchair accessible.


The building hosts a large 200 capacity dining hall with a professional kitchen and fully functioning bar. The bar offers a selection of alcohol and non-alcohol drinks, including a selection of draught beers, cans and bottles.

A large temple seating 100 and a smaller temple seating 50. 

A library / large meeting room, and a smaller meeting room.

The hall has separate Male / Female washroom facilities, each with their own cloakroom.


Access via the front entrance presents seven small steps assisted by a handrail. There are no further steps or lifts required within the building as it is built on ground level.

<< Back to search results