Who are we?
Lodge Stewart 4261 was consecrated 23rd February 1921. The Lodge name appears to emanate from Henry Stewart 1st Viscount of Seaham, Earl Vane and the 5th Marquess of Londonderry, who was PGM from 1880 until his death in 1884. The 7th Marquess at the time gave permission for the use of the name. He also gave permission for the family coat of arms to be used on the Lodge Summons and PM’s Jewels. Lord Londonderry also presented the Lodge with the silver chain that is worn on the Worshipful Masters collar to mark the founding of the Lodge. The lodge recently celebrated its centenary in 2022, but due to the pandemic, was delayed. The Lodge has been assisting the communities within the Seaham area for many years, with its charitable activities, whilst providing support to widows of the Lodge. As a Lodge it endeavours to keep pace with today’s ever changing world and is always keen to adopt new ways of working within the Lodge, whilst maintaining the ancient tradition and philosophy of Freemasonry: building a caring society with integrity, treating others with respect, sharing a common foundation for friendship and making a difference with charity.
What we do
All members of Lodge Stewart are urged to regard the interest of their family as paramount, but importantly Freemasonry teaches and practises concern for people; care for the less fortunate and help for those in need. We also enjoy having fun in the process, by having Socials, Inter Lodge Games nights with other Lodges who share the Temple facilities, which are quite competitive. The Lodge has assisted with the with funding of equipment for Seaham High School. It has worked in partnership with Seaham Town Council by providing funding for floral hanging baskets along seafront to enhance the Towns appearance. We remember those whom have given their lives by joining the Service of Remembrance around the Cenotaph ( The Lodge donated to the fund to purchase the world famous “Tommy “which is at the Cenotaph) At Christmas we hold a Masonic Carol Service in St Mary’s, a 12th Century Church near the Temple. There are strong links with the Seaham branch of the u3a which meets in the Temple and of which a Lodge Brother is the Chairman
Why join us?
People become Freemason’s for a variety of reasons, family tradition, introduction by a friend, or out of curiosity. The structure and workings of the Lodge and the ceremonies, which are usually followed by a meal and drink, offer members a framework for companionship, teamwork, character development and enjoyment of a shared experience.
Small onsite car park for 6 cars, designated for disabled, immediately in front of temple. Ample car parking along seafront.
Short, tarmacked surface up to front entrance with step up and access to ground floor.
Double door porch with step up to ground floor level, doorbell. There is a ramp for wheelchair access from the onsite car park into the ground floor area.
Emergency exit from ground floor bar area to onsite carpark.
There is no emergency exit from the temple level.
There is an emergency chair for disabled people.
The age and design of the Masonic Hall does present some accessibility challenges and regrettably it is currently classed as only ‘partly accessible’. There is a slight internal step at the main entrance and the entire ground-floor area (including toilets) is wheelchair accessible.
Accessible toilets ( ground/Temple level ).
Ground floor level – flat surface throughout.
First floor – Temple access via stair lift (some steps before and after using the stair lift. Handrail on one side of stairs.